The shaft shown in Figure P11-4 was designed in Problem 10-19. For the data in row (a) of Table P11-1, and the corresponding diameter of shaft found in Problem 10-19,….
Identify an existing structure & its’ support/s.
1. Identify an existing structure & its’ support/s. (2 mark)
(please identify one simple structure near or within your house)
2. Take a photo and/or do a detailed drawing of your chosen structure and its’ support/s. (3
3. Draw a Free Body Diagram of your chosen structure – show the loads and boundary
reactions where they act, the likely direction of these forces, and for loads – whether you
expect them to be concentrated or distributed, permanent (dead) , imposed (live), wind
etc. Include an assessment of how the support/s should be modelled i.e. pin, roller, surface
contact etc. Justify your decision (15 marks).
4. Based on the FBD, estimate/calculate the load on the structure and the boundary
reactions. (3 marks. Note if the FBD is statically determinate, you can do calculation; If the
FBD is statically indeterminate, you can make estimation.)
5. Describe your chosen structure including the following:
• The nature and location of the overall structure
• The materials used
• Your guess/estimate of the age of the structure
• Any other interesting information. (2 marks)